Features of Queues (When to use and recommend Queues vs Activities?)
Activities is a list of all activity types such as Email, Phone Call, Task, Appointment, Fax, Letter, etc.
Queues is a place where you list both activities and cases in the same view.
Depending on business needs, you can recommend either one to manage all action items recorded in CRM. Some business users, they prefer looking into separate views, however, some businesses have multiple teams and it will be beneficial for them to use queues instead.
Here are the most important information you need to understand and know when considering Queues vs Activities.
- It is required to setup a Team to use Queues. This way, you can easily manage the members’ action items and their security role.
- The activities and cases inside a queue is called a queue item.
- Users can pick a queue item as needed.
- Picking a queue item updates the Worked By field/column. This also updates the record’s owner field.
- Users can route a queue item to another Queue or User.
- Users cannot route a queue item to a user who is not a member of the Queue that owns the queue item.
- A queue item can be delegated to another user who is not member of team by assigning the specific activity or case (just like any other records in CRM).
- Releasing a picked queue item will automatically be routed back to the Queue even if you have assigned the activity or case to anotehr user. (Worked By will be empty / Owner == Team)
- When displaying an Activity Status in queue, it will be a separate column per activity type unless you add a custom script. This applies with other fields like Due Date, Priority and other important fields. Thus, heading to a separate view for Activities and Cases are helpful.
Activities will stay even if the business chose to use Queues. There are certain users that does not work on Cases which means, Activity Views are good enough for them to manage their action items.
I hope this is helpful. Cheers!